I designed it over a long period, years really. I finally ordered it made up on August 13, 2016. Previously I camped in a canopy camper that I also built out myself, I write about that here or you can click on the tab at the top of this page.
Here is a photo of the prototype that I used as a basis for the design and one with me trying it on for size. The camper will be taller, longer and wider, meaning it will extend over the cab more and out the back of the truck more. It will have windows on each side. Tufport* will build the shell, I will build the interior. This is not my truck, mine is a dark grey Tacoma.
I've chosen our camping outfit (truck and fibreglass camper) for economy of fuel, ease of handling, comfort, and reliability.
Here are my drawings of the interior design decisions.
![]() |
| Preliminary sketch |
![]() |
| Final scale drawing |
Of course, in reality things might change.




Very interesting! I'm looking forward to reading your progress and thank you for sharing this!
ReplyDeletethank you Brad!
ReplyDeletePretty comfy. Thanks, and please keep sharing pics!
ReplyDeleteMy only issues would be the missing connection to the drive seat area, and the back door hinged on the side (instead of the top, where it would support a tent while open): two things I think you'll miss in rainy days. The final price was anyway very interesting.
thank you! Yes, good points. I think that I will eventually make some sort of awning for the back area to have a dry spot outside the door.
DeleteMing, when I saw what you were creating I was speechless and silent.
ReplyDeleteMany years ago 10 or more I began the quest to find our exploring vehicle for retirement.
Like you we had traveled from the keys to across Canada.
I looked at 160 RV systems and DIY's and found them expensive and too much to maintain and repair.
Then weeks ago I found a 2.7 Tacoma that was reliable but the payload and roof of the pop up was a problem.
2 weeks ago I found the T-59 and I was home.
Then last night I took out my drawings for a all aluminum lite 500 pound 4x7 that is 4 feet long until we stop and telescope it to meet the T-59.
The back 2 feet is a pop up door with a tear drop kitchen.
Inside is the washroom and simple hand washing station in the 5x4 space also a place to get away and read when the wife is asleep and light bothers her eyes.
I figure were talking 900 pounds to pull the telescoping trailer loaded and it would take weight from the igloo T-59 that will have a king mattress and 24 square foot under bed for fishing rods tackle and lite gear.
Hi Retiremesoon,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, I seem to have missed this!
What an interesting story you have! Congrats on your choice of DIY more affordable, flexible, and reliable RV. If you get some sort of pics up, please send me a link, I'd love to see what your setup looks like.
I have sad news about the truck camper, I lost it in a rollover accident last spring. I have since bought a van and am doing a minimal and reconfigurable build on it to test out different layouts. I think it does have a bit more room inside than did the truck camper, which your rig does too with the addition of the trailer.
Spartan Hot Sauce, Seasoning, & More! - TITIAN CIRCUIT
ReplyDeleteSpartan Hot Sauce, Seasoning, & More! titanium mig 170 SPARTAN PEPPER - SEASONING. 1,400,000 - 6,600. titanium car 2,400,000 - 7,600. 3,400,000 - 9,300. 4,400,000 - 10,400. 5,400,000 - snow peak titanium 11,400. 6,400,000 - titanium exhaust 11,400. 12,400,000 - 12,400. 7,600,000 ti89 titanium calculator - 12,400.