Found and Modified
First I found some drawers that a neighbour was throwing away. "Perfect", I thought. "I can put off building storage on the left side of the camper, I'll modify these", and I did. I reinforced the plastic with strips of pine then built a frame for the top that could be screwed into the glassed in wood strips of the camper. The frame will keep the plastic containers I want to put on the top in place and keep the flimsy plastic top from collapsing on the drawers.
I then screwed in side pieces onto the drawers to hold some metal Ikea cupboard door mounts for added storage of things I want to keep easily accessible. (see below)
Now to attach the drawers to the wall!
![]() |
| Ack! The first hole drilled into the glassed in strapping installed by Tufport when they made the camper |
Once that the unit is screwed to the wall I attach the metal holders.
![]() |
| These were just lying about the house and they were repurposed as not needed on my new cupboard doors at home |
Now for the right side of the camper, the counter and kitchen storage. Built out of pine and 1/4 inch plywood that will be reinforced with strapping and is oiled with mineral oil.
From pieces on the floor to a kitchen
First make the side mount and screw it to the wall.
Adjusting had to be done to fit over lumps and bumps in the fibreglass.
![]() |
| Lumps and bumps did not make for a smooth construction ride |
Then screw in the 2 x 2" pine mounts for the shelves on the other side
Now lay on the shelves that have been cut and modified to fit the space.
![]() |
| The bottom shelf is the wing of the camper that goes out over the side of the truck bed. |
The containers will be held in by straps when driving.
![]() |
| Almost done, I have to add reinforcing 1 x 2' pine on the bottom of the shelves to make it sturdy. |
There is a lot to cope with..
![]() |
| Coping |
There is more of this in my future as I have yet to reinforce the shelves along with finishing a few other details. I am slow, but I am precise (yay, I found my precision miter saw!).
Finish the counter and shelves area.
Finish cutting Reflectix insulation for mounting on the windows and skylight in cold or hot weather.
Hooks for the strapping to hold back the containers on shelves.
Attach magnets to the window frames and washers to the corners of the Reflectix to hold them in place.
Pack













No comments:
Post a Comment