I've temporarily installed MEC inflatable mattresses with egg crate foam toppers covered in MEC sheets for the bed/couch. This week I will check out 3" 2lb foam and egg crate topper, covered in poly-cotton for the permanent bed. Outgassing from the foam is a concern and if that turns out to be a problem, we will let it sit at home while on this trip and use our temporary set up.
I've been working in the living room. The bed is made up of interlacing slats. It slides together into a seat. I had some pieces cut at Home Depot and had some cutting to do with my precision miter saw. Every piece was planed. Things take time with hand tools, but there is much less sawdust everywhere in the living area.
![]() |
| Finally coming together using only hand tools |
![]() |
| Pulled out into bed formation (before legs were installed) |
![]() |
| Pushed back into couch mode |
![]() |
| I built these supports to go over the wheel well covers to level the bed with the side "wings" |
![]() |
| The shower curtain tension rod keeps the bed from sliding out on bumpy roads |
![]() |
| There is a lot of storage area under the bed |
Now for the legs
![]() |
| installing the legs |
![]() |
| Legs installed, couch set up. The composting toilet is on the left and the drawers on the top left were free from a neighbour who was moving |
![]() |
| Double bed set up. The Reflectix insulates the window against cold nights and is mounted with magnets for easy removal. |
I'm very happy with the cozy, quiet atmosphere this couch conveys, even on a dreary dark rainy November Vancouver day.
More pieces to assemble
Next are the shelves and counter for the right side by the door of the camper. They are lying in pieces on the living room floor.
Deadline shmedline
It is December 2. Our deadline for leaving is December 17. Will we make it? So much to do yet. The building is taking me so long because of job and health constraints, but the health is looking up and I'm hoping I'll have more time each week before we are to set off to finish the shelves and the counter, install the foam mattress, take care of health insurance, money, pack, and a myriad of other details.
We will play it by ear, leaving date has some flexibility. I will post as things progress.











Ming, you are a master carpenter... what a great job! You've thought of all the little details. I love how you worked out how to make the bed into a couch. All the best with your health and getting ready in the next two weeks.
ReplyDeleteYour camper is coming together nicely. Ming's tenacity in getting the inside done is to be admired. I hope all the final steps you have to take goes smoothly over the next couple of weeks and that Ming's health is #1. I'm so excited for you both (and Charley).
ReplyDeleteThank you Trudy, you are so kind! When I pull out a bit of the "bed" part way, I can also sit in front of it and use it as a table/ desk.
ReplyDeleteI just found myself a good remedy and seem to be responding, so fingers crossed that this will continue and that I can get over this hump that started with the pneumonia.